Thursday, June 5, 2014

Hilo Hawaii

June 4th Erin and I packed up and headed to Hawaii to start our next 13 week assignment. My mom was so cute and brought leis with us to the airport to drop me off and took me and Erin's picture before we left!


Our first flight was to Seattle and then we had a 2 hour layover which was just enough time for us to eat before boarding. Then the flight from Seattle to Hawaii was about 5 hours. We flew into Kona which is just on the opposite side of the island of Hilo. We got Erin's rental car and then drove to our Hotel. It was late when we got in, so we just went to bed. Here is a picture of the little paper they had on the airplane to Hawaii and the hotel, Kona Seaside Hotel.





This morning we got up and packed our bags and got on the road to head to Hilo, which was about an hour and a half. We first stopped at the airport to pick up my rental car. Here is a picture! I like the car so far! We are going to trade in Erin's Ford Focus tomorrow for a better one, due to the transmission not working properly.



We then got the house and it is absolutely everything we could have hoped for. The pictures just can't do it justice. It is right by a stream and that is the room I picked, by the stream, so that I can listen to the water all night. The windows are all open with screens on them and they stay open all the time. That is how the cool air gets in. I don't even see a thermostat for heat or air in the home. How all the windows are positioned are done so to have a crosswind through the house to keep it cool. It is definitely different then what I am used to but it is also pretty neat to experience! Right now as I sit at my desk in my room, it is raining and the sound and breeze from the rain is very soothing. Here are a couple of pictures.
Needless to say we are both extremely happy with the house and the area so far! I will blog when stuff comes up!

No comments:

Post a Comment